Arizona Game & Fish Department Wildlife Photo Contest Winners Announced
November 15, 2014
Chandler photographer Robert Rinsem's image of a handsome hooded merganser gliding across golden waters has captured the grand prize in this year's Arizona Wildlife photo contest, sponsored by the Arizona Game and Fish Department.
The contest, which promotes Arizona's diverse Wildlife, attracted more than 700 entries on the theme "Arizona's surprising wildlife." Thirteen winning images have just been published in a full-size 2015 Wildlife calendar in the November–December issue of Arizona Wildlife Views magazine.
The other 12 winning photographers are -
• Gary Michael Flanagan, Gilbert, Ariz .: American avocets
• William Lax, Mesa, Ariz .: fledgling great horned owl
• Bill Love, Apache Junction, Ariz .: desert iguana
• Joshua Esquivel, Sedona, Ariz .: rufous and black-chinned hummingbirds in flight
• Peggy Coleman, Glendale, Ariz .: American coots
• Lisa Langell, Scottsdale, Ariz .: coyote on the run
• Bruce D. Taubert, Glendale, Ariz .: ornate box turtle
• Brian E. Small, Sherman Oaks, Calif .: buff-collared nightjar
• Robert Rinsem, Chandler, Ariz .: herd of Pronghorn Antelope
• Tom Whetten, Tucson, Ariz .: scaled quail
• Hector Peñuñuri, Gilbert, Ariz .: elk calf
• Henk Ruiter, Glendale, Ariz .: red fox
This year's entries were particularly strong and diverse, so Arizona Game And Fish singled out 42 more images for honorable mention. These are also featured in arizona wildlife views magazine. The names of honorable mention photographers are posted on the photo contest's Web page, http://www.azgfd.gov/photocontest.
Arizona Game And Fish welcomes new subscribers to Arizona's award-winning magazine about Wildlife and outdoor recreation. The normal price is $8.50 for six issues (one year). Through Dec. 31, subscriptions are on sale at $7 for seven issues. Those who subscribe by Dec. 31 will receive the calendar issue showing this year's winners and honorable mentions.