Have A Havasu Holiday
A sleigh full of events celebrates the season.
December 1, 2023
As thousands of visitors and locals plan their holiday getaways, Go Lake Havasu, the tourism board for Lake Havasu City, turned to the Director of Fun at London Bridge Resort for her favorite holiday traditions. That's the actual title of Joelle Dickinson – as her business card can attest – an Illinois native who has lived in the city for ten years, working for the past seven at the resort.
Dickinson previously ran the Toy Story ride and birthday parties at Walt Disney World in Orlando, so this woman knows a thing or two about fun, trading her Midwest snowboots for flip-flops in the Arizona desert.
"I just love seeing the bridge lit up with Christmas trees and wreaths," she says, "It's a magical time of year on the Bridgewater Channel and Main Street, especially for young children like my four-year-old daughter."
"I also enjoy living in such a giving, charitable community, especially during the holidays," she says, pointing to such charitable holiday events as the Toys for Tots golf tournament (Dec. 2), Empty Bowls Projects (Dec. 2), and the 40th annual Toy Run (Dec. 3).
Here Are Some Highlights Of Holiday 2023:
• Friday Friday, Dec. 1, 2023, 6 – 9 p.m., Downtown Havasu District (Main Street) – Downtown Lake Havasu comes alive the first Friday of every month through May, the perfect time to enjoy a head start on holiday shopping. Discover 70+ local artisans and pop-up boutiques in the Artist & Vintage Village, located along the sidewalks of McCulloch between Querio and Scott Drive.
Enjoy live music and nightlife in many of the bars and restaurants. Elective Theatre, a local alternative rock band, will be performing as an acoustic duo for this hometown holiday event. Almost five dozen local businesses will host food trucks, art galleries, boutiques, and free kids' crafts. Then stick around for the after-party at SummerRay Wine Bar & Local Eatery. (https://www.golakehavasu.com/First_Friday_December_2023/12-01-23) Light Up The Holidays.
• 28th Annual Festival of Lights, Nov. 24 – Jan. 7, 2024, Nightly until 10 p.m. – The London Bridge Resort Festival of Lights brings out the Christmas spirit. This annual holiday lights extravaganza transforms the city into a twinkling winter wonderland. Bring the family for a stroll under the London Bridge along the walkway, or take your boat on a night cruise through the Bridgewater Channel as over 500,000 lights set the water aglow. There's plenty of free parking at the English Village or London Bridge Resort and Convention Center. It's a cherished tradition that adds a touch of sparkle to Arizona's West Coast. (https://www.golakehavasu.com/lake_havasu_festival_lights-2023)
Mrs.Claus And The Grinch Make An Appearance At London Bridge Resort.
• 12 Days of Christmas Celebration, London Bridge Resort, 5 p.m. – 7 p.m. through Dec. 22, 2023 – Bring the kids to enjoy the holidays with a 12 Days of Christmas Celebration. Every Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, beginning Nov. 29 from 5 p.m. – 7 p.m., enjoy stories with Mrs. Claus, letters to Santa, crafts, food vendors, naughty and nice drinks for the adults and ice skating. The event is at the London Bridge Resort inside Kokomo (near the ice skating rink). (https://www.golakehavasu.com/12_Days_of_Christmas_December_2023/12-01-23)
The Boat Parade Of Lights.
• Lake Havasu Holiday Boat Parade of Lights, Dec. 9, 2023, 6 p.m. – 9 p.m. – Some might say boats celebrate the holidays year-round with green and red lights on the sides and white above. During the Boat Parade, dozens more lights join those standard Coast Guard navigation lights as boat owners create dazzling floating light displays.
Holiday lights are expected to adorn over 100 boats as they glitter and glisten through the famed Bridgewater Channel under the London Bridge. Plan to arrive early as traffic around the London Bridge can become congested. Free parking is available at the English Village, Rotary Community Park, London Bridge Beach, and Lake Havasu State Park. (https://www.golakehavasu.com/Lake_Havasu_Christmas_Parade_of_Lights_2023/12-09-23)
Enjoy Live Musical Theater For The Holidays.
• ELF The Musical at GraceArts LIVE Performing Arts Theatre, Dec. 1 to 17, 2023 – Live local theater doesn't get much better than GraceArts, located at 2146 McCulloch Blvd N. Now, just for the holidays is the perfect show: ELF The Musical, based on the beloved sweet and hopeful 2003 holiday film starring Will Ferrell. Buddy, a young orphan, crawls into Santa's bag of gifts and is transported to the North Pole. The would-be elf is raised, unaware that he is actually a human until his enormous size and poor toy-making abilities cause him to face the truth. Show times from Dec. 1 to 17. Adults: $28; Children under the age of 18: $15 (https://www.golakehavasu.com/GraceArts_LIVE_Presents_Elf_The_Musical_2023/12-03-23)
About Lake Havasu City
Lake Havasu City is situated on the eastern shore of Lake Havasu on the Colorado River border of California and Arizona. The city was established in 1963 by Robert P. McCulloch, Sr. as a self-sufficient, planned community. Lake Havasu City is located on what is known as "Arizona's West Coast." Driving time is three hours west of Phoenix, 2-1/2 hours south of Las Vegas, and four to five east of the Los Angeles region. As part of the northern and western limits of the Sonoran Desert, Lake Havasu City and the surrounding area feature outstanding biodiversity.
The area attracts 835,000 visitors annually with its historic London Bridge, pristine lake, friendly community, abundant sunshine and annual events, ideal weather, and wide range of restaurants and lodging. More than 400 miles of stunning coastline offer exceptional watersports, including fishing, skiing, kayaking, and house boating. Visitors can also explore the lake from the beautiful beaches, campsites, and hiking trails.
Rated one of the top 100 best bass fishing lakes in America, Lake Havasu is ideal for catching large and small-mouth bass and striper fishing. The region is also host to extensive off-road trails and undeveloped stretches of river. For more information: GoLakeHavasu.com