AZGF Commission Announces Award Recipients
AZGF Commission Announces Recipients Of This Year's Awards
November 1, 2020
The Arizona Game and Fish Commission announced 16 recipients of the 2020 Commission Awards at its Sept. 25 meeting in Greer, Ariz. The awards recognize Arizonans who have contributed significantly to the conservation of the state's Wildlife, its outdoor heritage, and the mission of the Arizona Game and Fish Department.
This year's recipients are the following:
• Award of Excellence -- Charlie Kelly
• Youth Conservationist of the Year -- Jagrav Patel
• Media of the Year -- Priscilla Torres/Telemundo
• Conservation Organization of the Year -- Southern Arizona Quail Forever Chapter
• Conservationist of the Year -- Miles Moretti
• Natural Resource Professional of the Year -- Superintendent William Shott
• Volunteer of the Year -- Roger Rohrbach and Keith Kniver
• Educator of the Year -- Eric Proctor
• Mentor of the Year -- Matt Shura
• Advocate of the Year (two nominations) -- Jim Unmacht (State) & Ed Keable (Federal)
• Business Partner of the Year -- Walmart
• Buck Appleby Hunter Education Instructor of the Year -- Tom Britt
• Wildlife Habitat Steward of the Year -- Jim O'Haco
• North American Model Commissioners Award -- Margaret Martinez
The award winners are typically recognized at an annual awards banquet each January. However, due to health authorities' current guidance on group gatherings and social distancing, plans for the banquet have yet to be determined. More information will be posted on the website as it becomes available.
The first Commission Awards event was held in January 1991. Since then, more than 400 people have been recognized for their dedicated work toward securing Arizona's Wildlife for generations to come.
Did You Know?
The Arizona Game and Fish Department conserves and protects Arizona's 800+ Wildlife species but receives no Arizona general fund tax dollars. Contribute to our on-the-ground conservation efforts at http://www.AzWildlifeHero.com.